Joycelyn Taylor (Taylor for 2021) is currently accepting applications for Policy Analyst. This position will work to raise public awareness of social issues related to Affordable Housing and Small Business - and propose innovative policy solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Policy Analyst will conduct research on political ideas and analyze government policies, political trends and related issues. As a political analyst you should be able to study the development of political systems, research various political subjects and collect and analyze data.
This position is responsible for the coordination of campaign-related interest working groups activities with a focus on Affordable Housing and Small Business and the strategic cultivation of policy based on these focus groups of thought leaders. Working in close partnership with the campaign senior leadership team (SLT) and Project Manager, this individual utilizes experiences of our thought leaders to develop innovative policy recommendations.
Ultimately, you should be able to predict political, social and economic trends, evaluate cultures, values and political ideologies and present unbiased reports.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Current policies related to core interests and working groups
- Statistical analysis of data related to both
- Establish contacts and sources to use in working groups
- Effects and outcomes of current policies related to Affordable Housing and Small Business
- the principles behind existing policies
- political theories based on research and historical documents
- core values to drive policy decisions
- Forecast political, economic and social trend
- Research results (reports, presentations and published articles)
- BSc in political studies, journalism or relevant field
- A demonstrated commitment to racial, economic, and social justice issues
- Excellent research, writing, and analytic skills
- A demonstrated ability to learn new issue areas and produce high-quality, accessible reports and other documents on short timelines
- Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on a team, strong writing, revising, editing and proofreading skills, and the ability to maintain a high standard of accuracy and quality under pressure of deadline and with a high level of professionalism.
- The candidate must demonstrate energy, flexibility, a sense of humor and a desire to help team efforts succeed.
- Candidates must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
- Successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check.
- A master’s degree in public policy, social sciences, or another relevant field preferred
- At least four years of experience leading research projects for strategic organizing campaigns or policy campaigns preferred
- Experience with statistical analysis software and qualitative research tools
Volunteers can expect to learn:
- Volunteers will gain unique insight into New York’s political processes.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Research and Data management skills.
- An understanding of the skills and knowledge needed for professional success.
- An understanding of how political campaigns operate.
- And more.