Joycelyn Taylor (Taylor for 2021) is currently accepting applications for Volunteer Coordinator. This position will work to raise public awareness of social issues related to Affordable Housing and Small Business - and leading a dynamic team of amazing Volunteers. This position involves a great deal of contact with other people, so the volunteer coordinator must have excellent interpersonal communication and management skills.
- Outgoing. You’re building and sustaining communities.
- Flexible. Campaign work isn’t a typical 9 to 5. Some days, you might be flexing your organizing and scheduling skills, others might be spent in the field.
- Creative. We like to think outside of the box.
- Upbeat. We’re pragmatic optimists, we discuss challenges as well as solutions.
- Source and recruit our volunteer Leaders
- Manage availabilities and match talents with responsibilities
- Serve as primary liaison to volunteer leaders to support their grassroots organizing
- Continually build volunteer capacity across regions; Build relationships with existing teams while fostering the emergence of new teams
- Communicate frequently with volunteers to ensure they are satisfied and well-placed
- Disseminate information for upcoming actions and events
- Εnsure the purpose of the campaign and our policies are clearly communicated
- Provide a consistent point of contact for volunteers to campaign
- Accurately track regional volunteer capacity and provide regular turf snapshots for Field Directors
- Education in business administration, human resources, political science or relevant field
- A demonstrated ability to build and maintain volunteer structures, either in a campaign or a grassroots organizing capacity.
- Aptitude for connecting with people, forming and maintaining new relationships, and asking folks to step up.
- High level of comfort with using technology to support organizing (Slack, email platforms, social media platforms, etc). Experience with digital organizing is not required but is preferred.
- A pleasant, outgoing personality. Comfort in a rapidly changing campaign environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and consistent reporting habits.
- Ability and willingness to spend 10-15 hours a week on this work through election day 2021.
Volunteers can expect to learn:
- Volunteers will gain unique insight into New York’s political processes.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Research and Data management skills.
- An understanding of the skills and knowledge needed for professional success.
- An understanding of how political campaigns operate.
- And more.